12 March 2019
Question: According to Business Insider on MSN: Money, what are five (5) status symbols the rich are investing in?
Industrial output fall fuels Berlin woes – Pg. 3
– A sharp drop in German industrial production has added to fears that the country’s manufacturing slowdown has extended into 2019 and will weight on the Eurozone economy
– Industrial output fell 0.8% in January, ….
– Germany, the eurozone’s largest economy, avoided recession during the second half of last year by the slimmest of margins. It registered zero growth in the fourth quarter after shrinking 0.2% over the previous three-month period.
– The Eurozone economy weakened sharply in the second half of 2018 and a stream of disappointing data led the ECB last eek to commit to a fresh round of cheap funding for the region’s banks
At 30, the web has fallen under the influence of a bad crowd – Pg. 9
– …over the past decade the web has increasingly fallen under the influence of a bad crowd as authoritarian states, giant companies and criminals have colonized vast tracts of digital space. Cyber crime, electoral hacking and behavioural manipulation have exploded on the web, degrading our societies and democracies.
– …we desperately need to devote more effort to understand better the myriad ways in which the web is affecting our lives (Prof Note: Over the past two weeks I have had guests. Both from academia. We spent the evenings drinking high-end hooch by the fireplace never once looking at our phones. It was WONDERFUL!)
– …improving our watchfulness
London commercial property starts to feel Brexit chill – Pg. 18
– Investment into real estate in the City of London, the capital’s historical financial centre, was down 17% year-on-year in the last quarter of 2018, ….
– Many recent deals have involved Asian capital…
– The possibility of the UK leaving the EU without a deal is also a worry
Answer: (1) Education (Prof Note: I once worked with a former student that was using an admission consultant, cost: $3,000 – $5,000 ten years ago, for admission to an Ivy. I was blown away at how much that consultant improved my recommendation letter. It helps when you can afford the best! Of course, if you want to go to Georgetown, bribe a coach! (Is it too early discuss this?! J)); (2) Health and wellness; (3) Travel; (4) Security and privacy; (5) Exclusivity and customization