22 August 2019
Question: According to MSN: Money, how much is a starter home in Virginia?
Falling debt costs raise pressure for spending on public projects – Pg. 1
- The cost of servicing the debt of developed countries has sunk to its lowest level for more than four decades, piling pressure on governments to borrow and spend more in order to jump-start the flagging global economy
- Advanced economies will spend just 1.77% of their combined GDP on debt interest this year…the lowest since 1975 and down from a peak of 3.9% in the mid-1990s
- The debt-to-GDP ratio across advanced economies has risen from 45% in 2001 to 76% this year
- More than $16tn of bonds around the world trade with negative yields, meaning some governments are in effect being paid to borrow
Us budget office warns on rising deficit – Pg. 2
- The US budget deficit was set to rise to $960bn this year, or 4.5% of GDP, on the back of lower-than-expected tax revenues….
- …wanted over the next decade US deficits would be $809bn larger than forecast…