27 February 2019
Question: According to MSN: Lifestyle, what are three (3) times it is OK to quit your job without another one lined up?
Powell flags up Fed’s concerns on slowing growth and Brexit – Pg. 2
– Slowing growth in Europe and China and “elevated” uncertainty over Brexit and trade are continuing to weight on the Federal Reserve’s policy outlook, …even as he gave a broadly favourable health check to the US economy
– ….central bank’s “patient” approach to interest rate changes, …
– “Financial markets became more volatile towards year-end, and financial conditions are now less supportive of growth than they were earlier last year”
– Mr Powell said some economic data had “softened” in the past two months, on the same morning that data showed a sharp decline in residential housing starts in December, as well as a deceleration in home-price growth (Prof Note: Can you say, “Fourth Quarter 2006”?)
Push to change brings uptick in female CEOs – Pg. 17
– A lack of portfolio management expertise is sometimes blamed as a factor in holding women back from rising too high within investment companies. Less than 5% of investment funds are run by female managers (Prof Note: I find it difficult to comprehend that so few women lack the management expertise.)
Short sellers betting on more Amazon pain for US retail – Pg. 21
– …some of the biggest companies in the sector such as Walmart are reporting their healthiest metrics in years
– Fears that the relentless growth of Amazon would obliterate much of the sector reached fever pitch in the summer of 2017…
– Traditional chains are also trying to take on Amazon by improving their online offerings and making their stores more enticing. Both require hefty investment…
– (Prof Note: My personal experience with Amazon is getting to be frustration. I cannot find what I want as there is so much. I can go on Target’s website, find what I want, place in my cart, and pay for it with my Target card. I strategically place the order when I know I will be driving by so there is no “shipping”.)
Answer: (1) Do you have no autonomy over your schedule?; (2) Is everyone going to know you are job hunting anyway?; (3) Is your current gig so soul-sucking it is killing your motivation?